Transfer Station Closure
Thursday, November 28, 2019 (All day)
The Whitingham Transfer Station will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 28th.
NOTICE OF VACANCY
The Whitingham Planning Commission currently has a vacancy. Monthly meetings are scheduled for the second Tuesday of each month at 7pm.
If you are interested in joining the Planning Commission please attend the next meeting on January 14, 2020 at 7pm. If you would like more information, please contact Gig at 368-7500 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Census is coming
The US Census is hiring locally! The US Census is looking to recruit 2000 residents of Vermont to serve as Census Takers ("Enumerators") during the decennial 2020 Census. Enumerators serve in their local communities to insure that every individual is counted in the Census. These jobs offer flexible hours and pay $16.50 hour, and will run roughly from March through the end of the summer, including paid training. Applications for these positions are being received now.
The 2020 Census count figures will be used in part to allocate resources for Meals on Wheels, Special Education, School Lunches, Fuel Assistance, Medicare Part B, and dozens of other programs on which our community members rely.
Applicants may apply online NOW, or at any time in the convenience of their own homes by accessing 2020census.gov/jobs , or by calling 1-855-JOB-2020.
The US Census will be only 7 questions. It is important to the Town of Whitingham that you respond to the Census. The results can provide funding for WIC, fuel assistance, Meals on Wheels, special education, school lunch programs, housing and development grants, etc. Everyone needs to be counted, especially newborns to 5 years old.
Broadband Update: New VTel Tower and Fiber Optic Project
The new VTel tower under construction at the top of Streeter Hill Road will be on-line by mid-November. The new tower plus the two existing VTel towers are expected to provide a cell and wireless internet signal to 80-90% of all homes and roads in town. VTel is working on roaming agreements with AT&T and T-Mobile (Sprint).
Fiber Optic Project
Whitingham received an unsolicited draft proposal to build a fiber optic system to provide high speed internet to all homes using the poles owned by Jacksonville Electric Company and Green Mountain Power. The Selectboard and the Economic Development Group are evaluating the proposal from Matrix. http://www.matrixdg.com/
* Fiber to a home or business increases property values by ~3% so it is a worthwhile investment for all property owners.
* Fiber is the fastest, most reliable way to provide internet and phone service to homes and businesses.
* Fiber allows streaming of TV and movie content at a lower cost than satellite TV.
* Matrix fiber cost of $95/month is less than Consolidated Internet, Consolidated phone and satellite TV combined.
* Fiber is so important to the future educational attainment of our students.
* Fiber will enable more people to work from home, increasing job opportunities.
* Matrix is willing to finance ~70% of the total construction cost. The $95/month fee includes the cost of Matrix operating the fiber system.
* Jacksonville Electric Co. will obtain new revenue by renting space on the company's poles to Matrix. (Green Mountain Power will also get pole rental income).
* For the Matrix project to be viable, Whitingham will need 60-70% of the homes and businesses to commit in advance.
* If the town is interested in fiber optic internet services the town will put all aspects out to bid.
Connectivity Announcement Vtel and Matrix Fiber 10.16.19